Founded in 1914, the Galveston Art League has continued to promote the goals and purposes set forth in the League’s first constitution:
- To foster worthwhile art in the schools and homes of the city
- To solicit the cooperation of public and private groups in support of art
- To encourage the artist of the city and state
- To hold exhibitions
Since 2004, the league has operated a gallery space on Postoffice Street in downtown Galveston where exhibits are held monthly. Each year the gallery hosts 9 member exhibits and 3 juried exhibits that are open to the general public.
History of the Art League
The Galveston Art League was founded on June 12, 1914, and was incorporated as a nonprofit on February 26, 1968. For decades, exhibits were held in various locations around the city, including City Hall, banks, businesses, and parks. When the new wing of the Rosenberg Library opened in 1972, exhibits of the Art League moved there.
In 2003, the Board of Directors established a building fund to get a home of its own and moved into leased space at 2117A Postoffice Street that year. In January 2008, the leased gallery space was purchased. The gallery suffered a total loss when Hurricane Ike scored a direct hit on Galveston Island the following September and inundated the gallery with nearly eight feet of flood water. The board decided to rebuild the gallery, and the space was remodeled and opened once again for business in March of 2009. In 2018, the league purchased the storefront at 2119A Postoffice Street in order to expand exhibitions and workshops.